NK Architects stands at the leading edge of high performance building design in the US. We seek experienced designers to join us as we launch into a growing portfolio of transformative projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic, the Pacific Northwest, and beyond.
Our belief is that we create the best buildings for our clients when we combine great design with Passive House building engineering. This fusion not only creates beautiful, comfortable, and healthy places, it also helps create a sustainable future for us all. Buildings can be a form of climate action.
If these ideas resonate with you and you have a passion for design and building performance, please consider applying for the Staff Architect opening at our Pittsburgh office.
NK Architects’ national leadership in Passive House design is opening opportunities and generating new work for the firm. To our knowledge we are designing more square footage of Passive House projects than any firm in the country today. It’s an exciting time of growth and development for all of us and we seek talented colleagues to join us.
About NK Architects
With offices in Seattle and Pittsburgh, NK Architects is dedicated to design for a sustainable future. Using exacting site planning, simple elegant design, and Passive House detailing, we inspire developers and builders to create high-performance, net-zero-ready projects by demonstrating the combined success of cutting-edge energy efficiency, award-winning architecture, site optimization, and financial performance. The result is a healthier environmental future for generations to come.
We deliver sustainable projects across a wide range of scales and product types, ranging from infill townhouses to large mixed-use apartment buildings, often including historic preservation or affordable housing goals.
Our people are the heart of our mission, and we work hard to make our teams as successful as our projects. This commitment is demonstrated through our professional development programs (we train all our design staff to become Certified Passive House Consultants), our advocacy program that pairs each staff member with a principal for mentorship and support, opportunities for professional growth and advancement within the firm, and our commitment to providing a work/life balance. We support participation in the Intern Development program and encourage licensure for all our staff.
About the Role
Our project teams typically consist of a Project Manager, Project Architect, and one or more Staff Architects. The Staff Architect provides support in the creation of an architectural design and project documents that meets the client’s and the firm’s objectives in terms of program, architectural composition, building performance, buildability, consultant coordination, and code compliance.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Production of high quality project documents from schematic design and construction documents through construction administration, as well as specifications and other documentation under the direction of a project manager and/or project architect and for projects that may be based in Seattle.
- Creating presentation documents under the direction of a project manager and/or project architect.
- Working with other design professions regarding the architectural documents.
- Interacting with clients as directed by the project manager or project architect.
- Collaborating with other team members in Seattle office.
- Professional Bachelors or Master of Architecture degree preferred.
- 2-4 years of experience in all project phases.
- Previous experience with multi-family projects is strongly preferred.
- Ability to work as part of a team under the supervision of a Project Manager and/or Project Architect.
- Ability to communicate clearly, understand and execute project priorities, and provide intelligent feedback is critical.
- High level of proficiency in REVIT is required, and AutoCAD desired.
- Knowledge of Sketch-Up, InDesign and Photoshop a plus.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, paid vacations, 401k plan, and flexible schedules. Email resumes and portfolio to the Business Manager at Nicholson Kovalchick Architects at firstname.lastname@example.org. Clearly identify the position for which you are applying.