NK Architects seeks a Mechanical Engineer with Low Energy Building Systems experience to join our team for the integrated design and delivery of high-performance projects.
About NK Architects
NK Architects creates concentrated, delightful, urban communities to reduce transportation and development carbon footprints. The firm is known for its award-winning design of the regions’ highest performing homes and multi-family projects for clients who want long-lasting, high-value assets that appeal to investors and the community.
Using exacting site planning, simple elegant design, and Passive House detailing, we inspire developers and builders to create high-performance, net-zero-ready projects by demonstrating the combined success of cutting-edge energy efficiency, award-winning architecture, site optimization, and financial performance. The result is a healthier environmental future for generations to come.
NK Architects specializes in creating cutting edge high-performance buildings that use 80% – 90% less energy for heating and cooling than conventional code-minimum buildings. Interior environmental performance is a key success factor in the quality and longevity of our buildings, and therefore highly collaborative A/S/M/E/P design is a must for our projects. Our projects range in scale from duplexes to large mixed-use urban-infill developments, and our clients expect us to provide innovation and know-how.
About the Role
As our Low Energy Building Systems Engineer you will touch every project in the firm, and will be working daily with a team of other designers dedicated to creating net-zero-ready buildings. You will have the opportunity to grow our Mechanical Engineering Practice in the Pacific NW (Seattle office) and in the Mid-Atlantic regions (Pittsburgh office). The atmosphere is energetic, creative, and collaborative, where new ideas become reality.
Generally, the focus of this job is on achieving results which are aligned with the larger picture of the organization and its strategic goals. Initiative, coupled with a sense of competitive drive, and the ability to stay focused on results despite changing conditions, is the key to achieving the performance objectives of this job. The work involves innovation and creativity in generating ideas for quick response. Decision-making is focused on implementing practical, timely solutions.
The job requires getting things done quickly and handling a variety of activities. Self-assurance, and the confidence to purposely drive toward results while constantly problem-solving and engaging the commitment of others is needed. A leadership style that is firm and goal oriented, and yet motivates, trains, and engages others in an enthusiastic way is important. The emphasis on building rapport and relationships with individuals and groups requires an outgoing, poised and persuasive communication style.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Energy design to include DOE2, eQuest, Energy Pro and IES VE modeling software.
- Design and modeling of Low Energy Heat and Energy Recovery Ventilation systems.
- Design and modeling of Low Energy Domestic Hot Water delivery systems.
- Design and specification of integrated building systems that deliver very low life cycle cost results and are simple to operate.
- Energy modeling with the Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) required, and additionally with the WUFI-Passive building modeling software preferred.
- Energy modeling that meets LEED and Built Green criteria preferred.
- Understanding of electrical control systems required, and ability to design and specify electrical control and monitoring systems preferred.
- Bachelors or Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Licensed in one or more jurisdictions, with a Washington State License preferred
- 7 to 10 years of experience
- Multi-family project experience
- Experience managing engineering document production (in CAD or Revit) by others.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, paid vacations, 401k plan, and flexible schedules. Email resumes and portfolio to the Business Manager at Nicholson Kovalchick Architects to email@example.com. Clearly identify the position for which you are applying.