NK Architects stands at the leading edge of high performance building design in the US. We seek experienced designers to join us as we launch into a growing portfolio of transformative projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic, the Pacific Northwest, and beyond.
Our belief is that we create the best buildings for our clients when we combine great design with Passive House building engineering. This fusion not only creates beautiful, comfortable, and healthy places, it also helps create a sustainable future for us all. Buildings can be a form of climate action.
If these ideas resonate with you and you have a passion for design and building performance, please consider applying for the Project Architect opening at our Pittsburgh office.
NK Architects’ national leadership in Passive House design is opening opportunities and generating new work for the firm. To our knowledge we are designing more square footage of Passive House projects than any firm in the country today. It’s an exciting time of growth and development for all of us and we seek talented colleagues to join us.
About NK Architects
With offices in Seattle and Pittsburgh, NK Architects is dedicated to design for a sustainable future. Using exacting site planning, simple elegant design, and Passive House detailing, we inspire developers and builders to create high-performance, net-zero-ready projects by demonstrating the combined success of cutting-edge energy efficiency, award-winning architecture, site optimization, and financial performance. The result is a healthier environmental future for generations to come.
We deliver sustainable projects across a wide range of scales and product types, ranging from infill townhouses to large mixed-use apartment buildings, often including historic preservation or affordable housing goals.
Our people are the heart of our mission, and we work hard to make our teams as successful as our projects. This commitment is demonstrated through our professional development programs (we train all our design staff to become Certified Passive House Consultants), our advocacy program that pairs each staff member with a principal for mentorship and support, opportunities for professional growth and advancement within the firm, and our commitment to providing a work/life balance. We support participation in the Intern Development program and encourage licensure for all our staff.
About the Role
Our project teams typically consist of a Project Manager, Project Architect, and one or more Staff Architects and Interns. The Project Architect coordinates the architectural design process and creates project documents that meets the client’s and the firm’s objectives in terms of program, architectural composition, building performance, buildability, consultant coordination, and code compliance.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Coordinate the production of high quality project documents from schematic design and construction documents through construction administration, as well as specifications and other documentation in collaboration with the project manager and under the direction of the principal in charge.
- Manage the work of staff architects and interns in the production of those documents.
- Coordinating the work of other design professionals with the architectural documents.
- Interacting with clients as directed by the principal or project manager.
- Collaborating remotely with other team members in the Seattle office as needed.
- Professional Bachelors or Master of Architecture degree required.
- 5-8 years of experience in all project phases.
- Previous experience with multi-family projects is strongly preferred.
- Well versed in all building systems including exterior envelope, structural, and MEP.
- Thorough knowledge of IBC codes.
- Proven experience in delivering complete, well-coordinated construction documents including specifications.
- Ability to communicate clearly, understand and execute project priorities, and provide intelligent feedback is critical.
- High level of proficiency in REVIT is required, and AutoCAD desired.
- Sketch-Up, InDesign and Photoshop knowledge a plus.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, paid vacations, 401k plan, and flexible schedules. Email resumes and portfolio to the Business Manager at Nicholson Kovalchick Architects at email@example.com. Clearly identify the position for which you are applying.